tiny-harris-undergoes-controversial-eye-color-changing-surgery
citizen-pulls-over-a-police-officer-for-suspicious-activity
sleeping-with-20-or-more-women-can-cut-a-mans-risk-of-getting-cancer
lying-to-get-out-of-trouble-little-girl-tells-the-cutest-make-believe-story
woman-in-a-white-dress-epic-fails-falling-into-a-flower-pot
bill-cosbys-daughter-speaks-out-on-being-privileged

Bill Cosby’s daughter speaks out on being privileged!

billcosbydaughter 081208 Bill Cosbys daughter speaks out on being privileged!Bill Cosby’s daughter recently spoke on being privileged:

“My own people used to say to me, ‘You speak like a white woman,’” said the youngest daughter of Bill and Camille Cosby at her chic new boutique, PB & Caviar, in Tribeca.

“What does that even mean, anyway? Everyone has their way of speaking and living their life. No one should be judging and assuming that because I’m black, I have to speak in that hip-hop way. That’s something I prefer not to do.”

“I always went to private schools – Bank Street elementary, Columbia Prep – so I was surrounded by people like me. Not so much African-American, but privileged. I don’t really have a connection to other people who didn’t have my lifestyle. But my dad is very into helping people from his own community in Philadelphia.”
Source: NY Daily News

What are your thoughts on this?

(5 votes, average: 3 out of 5, rated)

Comment pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All

Its_DPP

August 12, 2008 at 6:41 AM

she shouldnt be ashamed cause her parents wanted better for her, people are a trip

DiSByTcHgOt_SwAgg

August 12, 2008 at 6:48 AM

Just because you grew up in that lifestyle doesn’t mean you should originally forget where you came from. I mean your parents put you in those type of schools, I believing she don’t hang out with to much of “black” people.

August 12, 2008 at 7:01 AM

Okay whatever…and the point of this is what..To see how your father’s philanthropic spirit obviously didn’t rub off on you. Okay mission accomplished.

August 12, 2008 at 7:14 AM

Man she is so not like her daddy. Bill Cosby, granted he can be a little harsh with us sometimes. It’s only cause he loves us and we do have to do better shit. You know he loves us. Bill and Camille didn’t give her the education they gave her to become some Saditty Broad…they did it so she could have a better education and opportunities. I am so reconsidering sending my children to private school. I have really been thinking about it. Thinking that it would be best for their education. But after reading this shit….Brett Farve and I’ll pass…..I’ll be damned if my children disconnect from our people like that.

csanders984

August 12, 2008 at 7:23 AM

Wow. What are you talking about ? She didn’t forget where she was from. She’s from a privellaged home where her family made she she got teh best of the best and unfortunately at times that meant white because whites get better educational opportunities, live in safer neighborhoods and all that… which isn’t always true but more likely than not. I’m sure she hung up with a little bit of everybody but odds are the majority of her peoples are white…

Trust me i know, I went to Private College and thats just how it is. I also went to Chicago Public School on teh Southside and still feel like I get a second rate education in comparison to a lot of my college friends.

csanders984

August 12, 2008 at 7:29 AM

It’s not disconnection.. She doesn’t like to talk hip hop, she didn’t put anyone down, she stated FACTS, which is truth… Most blacks aren’t privellaged and thus she wound up hanging out with the people that were… and odds are they weren’t very hood and real talk ain’t nothing wrong with that.. she’s not disconnecting from our people, she’s disconnecting from the hip hop culture.. Not every black person is like that.. frankly “our people” are people with darker skin of african decent.. thats it. Everything else is a cultural and social decison.

Thinka bout what you said….So your saying you would rather you kids have less opportunity so they can still be ” down”. Grow up. Let them decide.. Lots of well off black folks like Andre 3k came from similar backgrounds and look at them now.

Chane87

August 12, 2008 at 8:02 AM

BILL COSBY AND HIS DAUGHTER COME FROM TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT WORLDS. HE DIDNT ALWAYS HAVE MONEY IN HIS LIFE, HE KNOWS HOW IT FEELS TO STRUGGLE, SO OF COURSE HE HELP THOSE THAT HE ONCE FELT THEIR SAME PAIN. SHE DIDNT NOT FORGET WHERE SHE CAME FROM. SHE IS LIVING THE LIFE THAT SHE CAME FROM, SHE IS IS HANGING IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD THAT SHE CAME FROM, AND SHE IS STILL HANGING WITH THE SAME TYPE OF PPL. IT JUS SO HAPPENED THAT WHERE SHE CAME FROM WAS THE MORE PRIVELIAGE SOCIAL LIFE. AND I DNT SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT!!!! Y IS THAT A PROBLEM WHEN U DNT USE SLANG R U PRONUNCIATE ALL OF UR WORDS????? LIKE csanders984 SAID, BEING BLACK IS ONLY SKIN DEEP.ITS ALL BOUT THE ENVIORMENT U GREW UP IN, THAT IT. DO U HONESTLY THINK THAT BLACKS THAT GREW UP IN ENGLAND, R SPAIN, SOUTH AMERICAN, OR EVEN AFRICA, ACT THE SAME WAY A CERTAIN % OF US IN THE UNITED STATES ACT????? NO!!!! ITS A CULTURE THING. YOUR RACE DNT NESSACERILY MEAN YOUR CULTURE, SOMETIMES ITS UR ENVIORMENT!!!!

NARZHIO

August 12, 2008 at 8:24 AM

IT LOOK LIKE SHE ATE TO MANY JELLO PUDDING POPS. HOTT DAMNITT BOY!!!!

MSGOTTABODEE

August 12, 2008 at 8:24 AM

hello, how can she forget where she came from, she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth! we cant knock bill for wanting to give his kids better chances than what we had, i dont feel its talkin white, its called proper english, i know where i live opposed to the city, they say i talk white, but its not b’cuz i went to the best schools, (they wasnt bad either) but its because i choose to speak with sum intelligence, we dont have to speak ebonics and shit to be excepted plus i dnt wanna look like nobodys fool speaking as they say….(black) not knowing when to say are or is, or not pronouncing words with the ings,and shit, i hate that shit….but dont get the shit twisted i will get ghetto on a mutha fuka!!! (lol) see i know when to turn it on and off!!! lol

August 12, 2008 at 8:28 AM

again, I won’t be sending my kids to private school….and that’s my opinion. I don’t doubt that she has the type of friends she has because of where she went to school. Hence I don’t want my children growing up thinking this way. I don’t want them to be so Haughty that they dont’ try to associate with everyone. You have to experience every type of person to have an open mind about things. I didn’t say anything about speaking Hip Hop, there are plenty of african american’s that might not be as rich as her daddy is, but have a little something in the way of financial weight. I never grew up in the ghetto, or the projects. I have never wanted for anything in my life. But my mother, who thinks much like Bill Cosby made it her business to make sure that I kept myself humble. Associate with all people and keep an open mind. Just because someone doesn’t have as much as you, doesn’t make them less than you. She is disconnected…and when I say that don’t automatically assume I meant to hip hop. There are whole other aspects to black life than just hip hop….. I just really don’t know what the purpose of this article was…

Lilah21

August 12, 2008 at 8:31 AM

i cant stand wen black people tell someone who grew in an entirely different enviorment them, that they act or sound white. thats jus typical of black people period. who care wat she sounds like or how she acts. she kno she is black, the only diference is, she went to a school full of white kids. and everybody knows youadapt to the enviroment and people around you. she saw how they were acting and talking and she thinking thats how she suppose to be. black people can never give credit where credit is due. lets be thankful she got a real education and wasnt surrounded by violence and ignorance. jus because she talks proper doesnt mean she is talking like a white person. ya’ll act like all black people need to sound the same, WRONG!!!!! grow up please!!!!!

csanders984

August 12, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Um.. you do know by not send ing your kids to private school your teaching them not associate with someone who might attend it.. all I’m saying is give them a choice.. but also give them the BEST opportunity and do your job to raise them to be open minded… if you did your job right itw on’t matter where yous end them to school because they won’t be haughty because they already learned better at home.

the point of the article was to get us talking… objective completed.

Ur_BeSt_KePt_SeCreT

August 12, 2008 at 8:54 AM

She says ”what does that mean” to speak white? ok so what does it mean to speak hip hop then??????? come on stop downing your own race they say we as black folks are more racist against or own kind then white folks are

Anonymous

August 12, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Well the whole issue here is what you consider to be “people like you”. I mean honestly, when someone says that i assume they are talking about race or nationality not financial status…so when she said that i had to stop and go back…but to each their own.

SexyNDelicious

August 12, 2008 at 9:07 AM

omg thanx 4 dat much needed info…. NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chane87

August 12, 2008 at 9:36 AM

come on yal i know we have a lil more intelligence than what we are claiming. Who invented slang…….”hip hop”, thats what she meant by that!!!!!!!! and honestly i wouldnt mind sending my kids to a private school, we all know 9 times out of 10 they have better education, and thats what i want for my kids. Ans jus b/c u go to a privste school dnt always mean u will b disconnected, cus what i learned is, learning starts at home. Even tho a child spends 8 hr at school, they still have to do their homework to pass right???? So basically if raise u child right and teach them to b open minded than all should b good. The parent is the 1st teacher!!!!! I think for the first couple of yrs i would send my kids to private school for one they learn so much more than in public a lot of times. and there are black private schools so race shouldnt b an issue. My lil cousin started out in private school and at the age of 4 he knew his main colors in english and spanish. sorry yal i jus want the best for my kids!!!! whenever i do have some lol

80sBaby

August 12, 2008 at 9:41 AM

You know what she meant. When you listen to a hip-hop song (lol) it’s slang all through it. If it’s not slang then it’s people like Lil’ Wayne making up words. @ Ur_BeSt_KePt_SeCreT

August 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Ur_BeSt_KePt_SeCreT this is what I was trying to say kinda.

I already live in the suburbs. I live out here because the school district is awesome, and I love this town. There are many other blacks moving out to Pflugerville from Austin for that same reason. There is nothing wrong with wanting better for your children that you had. Hell, I’m giving mine the same life I had. Which was flippin awesome.

Being that I grew up around uppwardly mobile black people, I have an issue with us looking down on one another. I take issue to not associating with someone because they don’t have as much as you. Maybe that’s not what she meant, but I think I need to see more of the article to make a decision on what the hell she meant. I don’t think anyone should limit their horizons to within your own financial, cultural, racial guidelines. My best friend in the world was raised in Meadowbrook Projects…I learned so much from her about life and how to survive. She taught me things my mother could have never taught me. She also made me realize that the world I lived in was much different from her’s and that I should always appreciate what I have cause there are others that would love to live like me. Had I went to the Christian Private school my mother wanted me to go to, I would have never met her. I am thankful everyday that she didn’t send me there. It didn’t limit my opportunities. Only I could do that. But it did broaden my look out of life and the people that I cross paths with. I want my children to have the same education. You can’t get that in books. You get that with being around people of different backgrounds then you. Just one woman’s opinion. No disrespect to Miss Cosby, cause her father is one of the greatest. I don’t doubt that she had an awesome life. It just kind of shocked me because I’m so much like my mother. I just thought everyone eventually realizes how much like their parents they really are.

Julanta

August 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Why is this article on here?

stlplaya

August 12, 2008 at 11:01 AM

i guess if you go to public school you are under privileged…thats sum bullshyt u apply yourself whatever your situation is..so i guess u grow up in the hood you have already failed cause u didn’t grow up rich..the logic i see some people write on here is fuk up at best…so we gonna send the message to millions of people growning up in da hood or as u prepp people call it urban society that they aint gonnna be shyt cause they was fukked up at birth…wow thats shallow as fuk

poemsbyme

August 12, 2008 at 11:24 AM

I think her point is that she has forgotten where she’s come from…which is privelage. She didn’t come from nothing and worked her way up, her father did. So she has no connection with poverty because she’s never experienced it. She’s only been to private institutions where black people are few and far in between….and if they are there, they are just as privelaged as her.

I do get how she feels though, because I did come from the hood and now that I use correct English, even my own family tells me I want to be white. It’s something everyone has to deal with especially if they decide to get an education and realize that there’s more to life than slangin in the streets.

MissBina

August 12, 2008 at 11:33 AM

This is such a great topic. I can definitely relate. All my life I have been attending private schools. Starting with a Catholic grade school then going to a private High School. My parents wanted me to get the best education possible. Now I am attending a Public College and often find myself explaining to people about “talking white”. I love my black people and I know where we’ve come from but if you think its cool to talk slang, ebonics, or to cuss every other word, then your sadly mistaken. Do you think you will make it in the real world and be successful talking that way? Definitely not. For those who say ” OMG you talk like a white girl,” I simply reply, ” You mean I talk like I’m educated or like I paid attention in school?” This is a ridiculous thing to say. How exactly does someone talk white or talk black? There is a time and place for everything. The problem that we face today is that too many black people dont know how to conduct themselves in serious or professional situations. I am completely thankful for the background that Ive had. Whether you say I talk white or not, who cares! I know who I am, where I came from and where I’m going!

Dont get it twisted a sistah will pop off… but it has to be for a really good reason which most of them aren’t.

MissBina

August 12, 2008 at 11:36 AM

csanders984 you are right on the money!

Chane87

August 12, 2008 at 11:38 AM

HOW ARE YAL INTERPRETING THIS????? SHE DIDNT SAY IF U GO TO PUBLIC SCHOOLS R GROW UP IN THE HOOD U ARE UNDERPREVILAGED!!!!! I NEVER WENT TO A PRIVATE SCHOOL MY FAMILY HAS ALWAYS BEEN MIDDLE TO UPPERMIDDLE CLASS SINCE THE 50S. BUT I UNDERSTAND WHAT SHE IS SAYING AT THE SAME TIME. A LOT OF TIME WHEN KIDS GO TO PUBLIC SCHOOL’S AND OR INNER CITY SCHOOLS KIDS, DO NOT GET THE SAME EDUCATION AS PPL IN PRIVATE SCHOOL. FOR ONE YOU ARE PAYING MONEY SO U KNOW FOR SURE UR KIDS ARE NOT GOIN TO ACT AN ASS WITH THE MONEY U ARE SPENDING. 2ND SOME TEACHERS THAT ARENT GETTING PAID THAT MUCH MONEY MONEY DO NOT CARE SO MUCH AS HOW FAR UR CHILD PROGRESS. I KNOW SOME TEACHERS THAT ARE LIKE “HEY THEY ARENT PAYING ME TO DO THIS R THAT” 3RD I DNT KNOW WHERE U LIVE BUT HER IN TEXAS UR CHILD HAS TO PASS A STATE TEST TO GRAD. AND TO PASS TO THE NXT GRADE. SO THESE DAYS TEACHERS CANT TEACH LIKE THEY USE TO, THEY STATE TELLS THEM WHAT TO TEACH, AND THEY DOESNT APPY TO PRIVATE SCHOOL.
A LOT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL HAVE MONEY PROBLEMS AND PULL BACK DIFFERENT PROGRAMS THAT THEY CAN NOT AFFORD. MY REASONS ARE SIMPLE I WANT THE BEST, AND I GRAD. FROM A SUBURB HIGH SCHOOL THAT WAS VERY DIVERSE AND WE DIDNT REALLY HAVE MONEY PROBLEMS. BUT I WAS OPEN MINDED B4 I EVEN STEP A FOOT IN THAT DOOR CUS MY MOTHER RAISED ME THAT WAY. MY 9TH GRADE YR WAS THE FIRST TIME EVER THAT I WENT TO A DIVERSE SCHOOL, I WAS ALWAYS THE MAJORITY.
SO SHE ISNT SAYING THAT SHE IS BETTER, ALL SHE IS SAYING IS THAT SHE HAS BEEN VERY PRIVILEGED, AND THAT SHE HAS BEEN STEREOTYPE BECAUSE SHE IS BLACK AND WHAT THE MEDIA HAS STAMPED WHATS “BLACK” SHE DOESNT FIT THE UNDERLINING. THAT IS ALL!!!

Chane87

August 12, 2008 at 11:43 AM

TO MissBina
I TOTALLY GET WHAT U ARE SAYING. TO ME ITS OK TO SPEAK SLANG R WHATNOT, BUT U SHOULD ALSO KNOW WHEN TO TURN IT OFF. HOW DO U EXPECT TO RECEIVE A GOOD PAYING JOB IF U DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE CORRECT GRAMMER???? LIKE SHE SAID, THERE IS A TIME ANS PLACE FOR EVERYTHING. AND IF U ARE ONE OF THE FEW THAT KNOWS HOW TO SPEAK SLANG, BUT WHEN U ARE IN THE CORPORATE WORLD U CAN COMMUNICATE WITH THEM TO WITH OUT LOOKING LIKE AN ASS, THAN MORE POWER TO U!!!

Comment page: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All