dmx-rides-the-orlando-sling-shot-ride-his-reaction-is-hilarious
shes-wrong-for-this-mean-girl-pushes-her-brother-down-a-hill-in-his-toy-car
beyonce-wears-a-carter-jersey-with-nothing-underneath
nba-star-paul-george-breaks-his-leg-in-a-horrific-accident-mid-game
man-discovers-that-his-wife-used-to-be-a-man-after-being-married-to-her-for-19-years
explanation-of-kanye-wests-flashing-lights-music-video

Explanation of Kanye West’s “Flashing Lights” Music Video

kanye west flashing lights 022008 Explanation of Kanye Wests Flashing Lights Music Video

kanye west flashing lights6 022008 Explanation of Kanye Wests Flashing Lights Music VideoWhen Kanye West’s album ‘Graduation’ was first released in September 2007, there was a consensus by any and everyone who listened to it that ‘Flashing Lights’ was the one track that could never get old. From radio stations to Hollywood hotspots, ‘Flashing Lights’ was being played more than any other ‘non-single’ has ever been played in music history; so it was inevitable that Mr. West would delight his fans with a music video to accompany the track that would help cement the song’s placement in hip-hop history.

Kanye, with the help of model Rita-G, delivered with a video that both amazed and confused simultaneously. Breaking away from the normal ‘bottle-popping’ club scenes, the Louis Vuitton Don chose to use his music video as an aid to further tell the story his lyrics first introduced to us.

Watch the “Flashing Lights” Music Video

For those who were stumped when trying to discover the meaning of the video, as well as the song, The Rundown is here to help:

kanye west flashing lights3 022008 Explanation of Kanye Wests Flashing Lights Music Video‘Flashing Lights’ is about a superstar who is caught cheating with another woman while traveling on business. He tries to apologize to his girlfriend by telling her how much he cares about her, but is unsuccessful.

The video shows us just how unsuccessful the superstar was as we see his girlfriend killing him in the trunk of her car.

Kanye begins the song by saying: “She don’t believe in shooting stars.”

This shows that the woman does not care if her man is a superstar or not, and that nothing will excuse his actions.

He goes on to say, “but she believes in shoes and cars.”

Her ‘belief’ in shoes and cars is shown by her stripping down and burning her clothing, but never taking off her shoes. Also, rather than turning some of the gasoline she possessed on the car, and burning her boyfriend alive inside, she chose to kill in the trunk and keep her car intact.

Later in the song, Kanye spits: “I get a call like where are you Yeezy Try to hit you with a ‘Oeur de Whopee’ Till I get flashed by the paparazzi Damn, these *****’s got me,”

kanye west flashing lights4 022008 Explanation of Kanye Wests Flashing Lights Music VideoThe superstar’ receives an ‘I miss you’ call from his girlfriend only for her to later see paparazzi photos of him and an unknown woman canoodled together.

Even though he is still away on business, Kanye shows us that the boyfriend of the story feels bad for what he has done, and wants her to know that as well; hoping they can rekindle when he returns, and pick up where they left off (“I know it’s been a while, sweetheart, we hard-ly talk, I was doing my thing. I know I was
foul bay-bay, a-bay late-ly you been all on my brain”).

“If somebody would’ve told me a year ago it’d go, get this difficult. Feeling like Katrina with no FEMA Like Martin with no Gina. Like a flight with no visa”

These lyrics show just how ineffective the superstar’s apology was.  In regards to the video, the ‘difficult’ feeling is literally the uncomfortable position he is in while positioned in the trunk of her car-a place he would have never guessed he would be in a year ago.

Furthermore, in the chorus, Dwele sings “But I never thought that you would take it this far. What do I know?”

The boyfriend, or ex-boyfriend, of this story did not know that the love of his life would go as far as to actually kill him for a mistake he has made. But then again, what does he know.

And lastly, the final thing he saw before he was killed by his partner was the fire she started some feet away from the car, which are the flashing lights that are also being reference to in the chorus.

kanye west flashing lights5 022008 Explanation of Kanye Wests Flashing Lights Music Video

And there you have “Flashing Lights” …

Comment pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Show All

MZKALI

February 20, 2008 at 7:58 AM

WOW THANKS 4 THE BREAKDOWN

poca

February 20, 2008 at 8:25 AM

ok so with all that being said, does this mean that there isnt anymore to the video?!?! Rumor has it that this is a 3 part video but the way ya’ll just broke it down it kinda sound like that was it… IDK , we’ll see…

Shay

February 20, 2008 at 8:39 AM

I like the song but the video was kind of off to me. that video takes too much work out of me. If it wasn’t for Rundown, I would of been lost. Music Videos tell short stories. If he was going to do all that he should of made a MOVIE!!!!

k4beast

February 20, 2008 at 11:45 AM

I’ve been a fan of Kanye’s since the Blueprint album when he produced more than half the tracks on that LP including the now infamous Nas diss from Jay, the “Takeover”.

Anywho if anybody were to actually listen to the lyrics they would’ve understood the concept of the video. It wasn’t rocket science. Alot of people hate it probably ‘cos they don’t understand it but I love it. It’s Kanye in his continuous effort to step out of the box and be different, it’s thought-provoking and just ingenius. The work of himself and Spike Jonze.

TheRundown should start listing their sources for their information though.

Quietgal12

February 20, 2008 at 11:48 AM

why does everyone feel that this video should be like every other……I would like to see another part…but…if this is all to the video…I think Kanye made an interesting video….

A WOMAN SCORN IS A HELL OF A THING TO DEAL WITH….

Kanye is showing us reality…..WE ARE NOT IN A FUCKING FANTASY…and the sooner we ALL know this the better…..

Brenya

February 20, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I see something different…but hey, if it’s symbolism we all don’t really know….once a symbol is defined it loses its definition…
never got from the lyrics that the song was about a cheating superstar–but thanks for your take on the matter…

SO. CHESTER AVE

February 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM

WOW. THAT WAS DEEP.

BRiN3Y

February 20, 2008 at 1:05 PM

okay yeah thanks for that i jus seen the video dis morning and was like what the fuck is this shyt yo….but thats whats up

i just want to say......

February 20, 2008 at 1:08 PM

look at all these intellectuals!!

Kamelion

February 20, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Hats off to a man that knows how to tell a story…A true hip hop poet…Not much needs to be said here..what more can we ask for after that?…

Quicks97

February 20, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Im actually interested in watching the video now that you broke it down.

Quicks97

February 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM

I just watched the video after reading your break down. Alot more interesting reading it. Although shawty in the video was phat ass hell!

lala

February 20, 2008 at 3:49 PM

ha, luv the video and song…….

mac

February 20, 2008 at 3:53 PM

wow dat got me depressed i thought it was about a material girl but wat do i kno

Lady G

February 20, 2008 at 5:17 PM

I thought this video was reminicent of a James Bond flick but perhaps i was wrong…..Yeah, i thought this song was about a girl that was all about the bling and being with a man that would provide for that. But when he is off trying to work to give her all that, she is being a bit difficult and being all extra….But hey *hunches shoulders* apparently i was a bit off(not totally tho). Be Easy

G.

Delta Boy Hansom Ransom

February 20, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Kayne is creative….Good looking on that break down too though

Delta Boy Hansom Ransom

February 20, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Kanye is creative….Good looking on that break down too though

kymee

February 20, 2008 at 8:56 PM

kanye is always taking shit to the next level. different but why wouldn’t it be. He still has the big booty, and big breast broad so it should get a thumbs up all around the board. All men need is the broad. We women need content, it sooooooooo work.
Chi-Town Rocks

spain

February 21, 2008 at 2:06 AM

wow i can finally move on with my life after finding out that very important information

Erin

February 21, 2008 at 6:29 AM

when i first saw the video i was like oooookkkkkkkk but now i get it, i thought the song was about the song was about a woman who was spolied.

sexydarkskin

February 21, 2008 at 7:37 AM

i thought the song was about me …………lol

LuvanMusiq

February 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM

This video was quite confuzzling(and a bit disturbing) at first, but since i read the break down I totally get it. West is wayyyy before his time on this one. Way to make me have to think after school when I get home Kanye, but keep doin ya thing. ya digg

Renzo rollin inna benzo

February 21, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Nice song and video. Not just a fine chick dancing a shaking her ass, but a fine chick doing evil things. The fact that you have to explain this video means it’s a deep video.
Props to Kanye for bringing originality and creativity back to hip hop in 07.

MissMaria

February 21, 2008 at 11:03 AM

That song was the one I was always skipped on the CD (the girl saying “flashing….lights….” annoyed me) but I’ll watch the video and listen to the song now to see if I get it. I’m still loving Lupe’s latest (listening to it now, in fact) and the new Wyclef has been playing a lot in the MissMaria household. I don’t know if anyone here has/had/or remembers the first “Carnival” by Wyclef, but the new “Carnival” is different in style but a wonderful CD. If you’ve never heard Minister Louis Farrakhan on violin, this CD will give you the opportunity. Sorry for the impromptu review, but I’ve been excited about some of the new stuff out there; it gives me hope in the face of Lil’ Mamas and that damn boy who made that “superman that ‘ho” song.

grizz

February 21, 2008 at 11:25 AM

u dumb fucks don’t listen its all in his rythms!!

Comment page: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Show All