35-hilarious-and-creepy-text-message-reponses
these-japanese-urban-legends-will-creep-you-out
church-cancels-a-mans-funeral-after-finding-out-he-was-gay
find-out-how-much-100-is-worth-in-your-state
magician-tries-to-sell-weed-to-a-cop
the-best-pussies%e2%80%a6are-always-the-quiet-ones%e2%80%a6-keri-hilson-enter-stage-left

The BEST PUSSIES…are always the quiet ones….KERI HILSON enter stage left!

kerihilson5 The BEST PUSSIES…are always the quiet ones….KERI HILSON enter stage left!

I recently listened to Keri Hilson on power 105.1’s new morning show The Breakfast Club with Charlemagne the God, Angela Yee and DJ Envy. I was amazed at how well Keri handled what could have been a “slanderous” interview; she even discussed her vagina, openly, confidently and most importantly…publicly.

KERI…THE WRITER:
From the onset….Keri has a stellar resume, which includes writing credits for the likes of Mary J.Blige, Britney Spears, The Pussy Cat Dolls, Usher and one of my all time favorite songs “Ice Box” by Omarion. A litany of other artists have enlisted her song writing abilities, because she’s clearly well versed, thoughtful, and can capture the emotions of everyday people, all of which has lead to numerous Grammy nominations and several #1 hits. This is quite possibly, what sets her apart from other artists, and adds to her credibility as a real groundbreaker that’s here to weather the test of time. She’s been around for a minute, and if she plays her cards correctly, will have the type of longevity that’s reserved for our more timeless stars.

KERI…THE BEAUTY QUEEN:
Keri Hilson is undeniably known as one of the prettiest woman in the industry, and I dare say that the word “pretty” is reserved for a delicate few, that have a natural aura, lady like poise, and striking facial features. The word itself “pretty” carries an unspoken connotation that denotes class and culture. I remember when my boy Donwill from the group Tanya Morgan started a debate on twitter over who looked better…Ciara or Keri. The men in that debate unapologetically gushed over Keri in such a fashion, that I wanted to get them all PLATINUM, LIFETIME memberships to her fan club. Someone actually said “when you hear the name Keri, the word pretty should come directly afterwards.” Women can scrutinize all they want, but at the end of the day….chances are…your man, your future man, your brothers and cousins are all proud Keri Hilson card toting members. She’s pretty, she rocks, and they like it, no…they love it.

KERI…THE DANCER:

Every single time Keri dances, for some weird reason, I get uncomfortable. She can definitely dance, but she can dance like the high school popular girl…that we all grew up with, not like a well trained dancer. I remember cringing during every single awkward step of her Michael Jackson tribute. It was like the girl next door was summoned to take the stage, armed only with dance moves from the last high school talent show. Her choreographer should be fired..like uh…last week, and whoever put together that routine for “The Way You Love Me” video, lost sight of what makes an artist truly memorable and classic. All of which leaves me wondering….what she hoped to accomplish with the sexually charged nature of the video which was heavily laden with B level dance moves, crotch popping shots and wall licking. With each crotch pop, I clutched my imaginary pearls and my eyes widened, then quickly closed as she went spread eagle with full pelvic thrusts. I was so confused at the end of her video. I just couldn’t help but wonder “what page have you been studying from?” Where in R&B history has she seen this mode of operation find success? Surely…she watched Christina Aguilera’s career flounder as a direct result of an oversexed image that people weren’t interested in. Now, don’t get me wrong, Keri is 10 MILLION times sexier than Christina Aguilera, but follow me on the comparison for a minute. Christina was known for having the best vocals in the game, her fan base was created and interested in her sound and never her look. The moment she became fixated with her outward appearance, her image and reputation were squandered, because she lost focus on her money maker, which wasn’t her ass, it was her voice. Keri Hilson is gorgeous, an outstanding writer and a good enough singer, to never have to resort to Ciara style videos, not to mention, she just can’t dance like Ciara, not even in her own wildest imagination, so why make a failed attempt…plain and simple, let’s call that spade a spade…shall we?

THE CONCLUSION:
With over 100,000 albums sold in the first week, I think it’s safe to say that Keri shows real promise. She has a chance to become R&B’s next sweetheart. She’s intelligent, beautiful and exceptionally talented. She’s clearly creating her own lane. My only questions center around where she’s doing her research, which playbooks she visited, and will she accept the overwhelming feedback that came after that sexually charged video. There was absolutely nothing empowering for women in that video or song. It was unattractive and the polar opposite of “pretty”. When you find yourself discussing your vagina publicly, it’s time to self reflect, because that’s not what good music is about, and you’ll never find Alicia Keys, Beyonce, the late Lena Horne or Diana Ross being forced to answer those type of questions in a public forum. People have too much respect for them to belittle them in such slave auction fashion. Feedback is an investment in capacity. It’s the only thing that pushes you towards fulfilling your own dreams, and it takes a level of humility to accept and understand that point. The very minute we feel that we’re above reproach is the minute we risk losing everything. Keri is at a pivotal tipping point in her career, she’s got the cards (talent) in her hands, and her next move is critical. We all know that sex sells, but mystery is also golden. I sincerely hope she finds a way to strike a balance, because she undeniably has a good thing. With the right strategy, she can move from good to great!

shonnielove

December 31, 2010 at 4:08 PM

that was a lot to read Sighs and I still feel the same…

orgnl

December 31, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Keri was about 30 seconds away from pulling the crotch of her outfit to the side and saying “Hello!” in that video

mschpz

December 31, 2010 at 8:48 PM

HAPPY NEW YEARRRRRR!

nikki4848dd

December 31, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Word..lol…MSCHPZ….thanks for that, by the way.Much respect.

tsmom23

January 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

yeah that was a lot to read…i never really liked keri hilson…she was kinda hot when she was wearing the long weave and she did that song with the lead singer from the pussycat dolls… she really turned me off when she dissed ciara and beyonce… that was so lame. why would you do that?? c’mon cici would slaughter you in dance…should i even mention what beyonce would do to her? granted she may have written some songs, but if she had kept her mouth shut and hadn’t made that diss track, she may have gotten more play in my ride.

Queen2k10

January 1, 2011 at 10:11 AM

LOL #2

MUZIKMINDED

January 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM

i just knew i was about to read something!!!(SMH)What a let down!

WhYNoTNoW

January 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I thought this was going to be an interview with Keri, i’m so disappointed right now. I feel like I just read an intro to someone’s thesis or something.

princessdlova

January 2, 2011 at 2:12 PM

great article. I totally agree with the points. #1 and #5 if this was a lot to read, then I’m nervous for your future. It was like 4 paragraphs. Without the picture, it probably wouldn’t even have made a full page. LOL. C’mon son!
As for #7 and #8 I guess if you were looking for something that lacked substance and real perspective, then yes, it would be disappointing. These points hit the nail on the head about Keri (and quite honestly MANY of our young ladies out here.) Keri needs to be true to herself before she ends up the next little black girl lost.

MissMaria

January 3, 2011 at 11:13 AM

This was an interesting article and I agree with a lot of it. I was thankful that I wasn’t the only one who was disgusted by her video and lyrics to the song. I expect grown women to be grown, not throw their vaginas in your face and be as vulgar as possible. And “dancing” is a stretch. Any druken teenager could pop like she did.

More to the point, the Christina comparison seemed odd because Christina can actually sing. That this article included subheadings based on songwriting, dancing, and looks but not vocal ability speaks volumes: Keri Hilson can’t sing. Neither can Ciara, but she, as the author states, can actually dance. It seems to me like Keri forgot that kind of large point, and no nasty dancing and lyrics can change that.

I think people need to do what they’re good at and keep it moving. If she wrote hits, she should keep writing them, because her talent in that area is valid. She is like the extreme version of a “pop” singer that can’t do anything well but is okay over all…except sexuality sells when it’s not so disgustingly literal. Eeew!

More than any of the above, I’m prudish enough to be most thankful that nobody liked her video. The fact that she misjudged the public so harshly is the final nail in her pop star coffin, because if she’s writing her own songs and making her own creative choices, then she can’t even play the “my management made me do it” card, and she needs to smarten up and stop assuming the world wants to see her dip that low literally and figuratively.

ShayLah23

January 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I feel yu MSMARIA

zloves1

January 3, 2011 at 12:29 PM

yes the article is long! its longer than the average article so dont come wit that crap about its not a full page its more than that.

yeah i thought it was an interview as well so i agree wit #8 comment.

it was still a good read but not what i was expecting. oh and christina can sing her asz off, keri not so much… #imjustsayin

RealTalk1215

January 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I have much love Ms.Keri and I think she is being true to who she is, as women we have different sides/layers to who we are and thats why we’re so spectacular, innovative, versatile this is why we rock as women…she seems to be comfortable in her own skin Im not seeing what the problem is? If your kids are looking up to her than thats your fault something is wrong with and your parenting skills, if youre mad and just slamming her name and who she is as a person its obvious youre hating plain and simple…I mean really who is she hurting…it only hurts if all you do is watch 106 & Cornballs or the videos of youtubes etc all the time then I’d get tired of seeing the video too…she is very talented give credit where credit is due and keep it moving…its really not that serious…really it isnt..there have been a lot worse than Ms.Hilson…smh…let’s get it Ms.Keri Baby!!!

JDub21

January 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I agree with what most of yall said. You can’t really compare Christina Aguilera and Keri Hilson cuz Christina CAN SING. Keri Hilson CAN’T SING OR DANCE. She just looks good. If she wrote all these other hits for other artists, why can’t she do the same for herself? I mean “Pretty Girl Rock” is rising up the charts but c’mon son. “Don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful”? Those childish lyrics. Keri is 28 years old writing and singing a song like that. smh She can do better.

She’s using her looks more now cuz she’s trying to do whatever everybody else is doing and its not working. As you can see, it didn’t work for Christina Aguilera cuz we love her for her vocals, not her looks. that’s what made her famous. She just needs to find herself and just do her instead of trying to be like another Ke$ha or Rihanna. we have enough of those already and they’re not even talented.